Georgia Interscholastic Cycling League (GA League)Weather Policy
Below are the guidelines for how the GA League will conduct races in the event of challenging weather. Our primary consideration is the safety of racers, race support staff, race visitors, and potential damage to the race course site.
Any decisions regarding cancelling, postponing, or altering race start times, lap lengths, number of laps, etc. will be made jointly by the GA League director, the land manager, and the GA League chief referee. Often, this decision cannot be made until the morning of the race due to the unpredictable nature of wet or stormy weather.
The GA League will make every attempt to notify the racing population via Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and web site updates as soon as possible.
GA League Weather Guidelines:
- Races are held on their scheduled dates unless the race course on the day of the race is deemed un-rideable and dangerous.
- The GA League will have the option to delay the start of a race from the published times if the weather has created dangerous conditions.
- Courses and/or lap lengths may be altered or shortened because of weather conditions. Last minute changes will be broadcast to racers at the start of each wave via the race announcer. If conditions require a change in number of laps during a race, a person will be stationed at the lap line advising riders of the change.
- The GA League will develop a wet weather course alterations in case of extremely wet conditions that threaten the trails used for the race.
- All racing will stop immediately in the presence of lightning as signified by the chief referee. Racing may continue once the league director, chief referee, and the head timer have conferred.
- Re-starting a race that has been stopped due to lightning;
- – depending on schedule and number of laps completed, the race may be declared over
- – if time permits, racers will be able to resume laps beginning from the lap line
- Communication of delays, changes in start time, courses, and so on will be made by the GA League as follows:
- – on the league web site prior to the race day, if possible.
- – on the public address system on the race day.
- – via forms of social media.
- GA League will not refund pre-registration fees due to inclement weather.
- GA League does not allow registration transfers to subsequent races due to inclement weather.
2017 Rain Dates
October 1st, October 29th
In the event that the Georgia League needs to reschedule a 2017 race due to inclement weather, the Georgia League will host that specific race on the following rain dates.
Race #1 or #2 – if rescheduled, will be on October 1, 2017– Venues are subject to change and will be announced at the time of race reschedule
Race #3 or #4 – if rescheduled, will be on October 29th, 2017 -Venues are subject to change and will be announced at the time of race reschedule
Contact GA League Executive Director, Kenny Griffin, at