The Georgia League is open to ALL Georgia students in grades 6 through 12, regardless of ability. We have created a variety of programs to make cycling accessible to every student who has a desire to participate.
Race Series – NICA-sanctioned races provide student athletes an arena in which to set and accomplish competitive goals, to achieve their personal best. The Georgia league programs have succeeded and continue to expand, with the addition of the Middle School program in 2015. Growing from 122 riders in the inaugural 2014 season to 400 riders, from 49 to 162 coaches, and from 12 teams to 30 in 2016. The League expects these growth trends to continue into 2017 with a goal of more than 800 student athlete riders and 50 teams. The fall race series was expanded from 4 to 5 races in 2016, and we will continue with a 5 race series in 2017. Professional race promotion, timing, course preparation and risk management guarantee every participating student athlete is given a fun and fast environment.
• Coach Licensing and Training – The Georgia League and NICA have a comprehensive coach licensing system. Through this program, we provide training for all adults involved in the programs, screen those adult coaches and monitor compliance with the licensing criteria at the annual Leadership Summit. The Leaders’ Summit provides the opportunity for participants to learn all about the Georgia League structure and processes, how to start a mountain bike team, how to work with their schools, issues related to liability, and the unique intricacies of working with high school and middle school cyclists. The primary goal for the Leaders’ Summit is to license adults as new coaches. Visit our Leaders’ Summit page to register, or for more information.
• Loaner Bikes– Through the generosity of individual donors and sponsors, the Georgia League manages a fleet of capable bikes for use by student-athletes with an economic need.
• Scholarships – Through the Georgia League sponsors, donors and fundraising events and NICA Booster Club, scholarships are provided so those in need can participate in our programs. Financial aid is available for individual riders, teams and adult coaches.
• NICA GRiT GA League – The NICA GRiT GA League program ( (formerly called Crank Sisters) inspires young women to build confidence and empowerment through off-road cycling. The goal is to increase the number of female student-athletes and coaches on an annual basis. 2017 NICA GRiT GA League has a number of fun events designed to show young women the benefits of cycling and riding bikes with the Georgia Interscholastic Cycling League! Join us during race season for our race pre-rides so we can check out the courses, meet female riders from other teams, and, mostly importantly, have fun!
• Switching Gears Recycled Bike Program – Local GA League teams receive bikes and in-kind gear from supporters and local bike shops through this program. The Georgia League also donates used bikes and parts to organizations assisting“at-risk youth” in the Atlanta area through their mentoring and training programs..
In just three short years, the GA League has trained close to 800 student-athletes and over 300 coaches through its Mountain Bike Youth Development programs. Interest and excitement in the League continues in 2017 with 50 teams expecting to participate in the upcoming fall season! Teams from all areas of Georgia will participate; including Rabun
County in the Northeast, Augusta in the East, Columbus in the South, and multiple teams in between, as well as two teams in South Carolina.